Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Building a Lumber Rack (Finally)

I have been saying for months that my next project was going to be a lumber rack, and every time I would put it off for something else that seemed like more fun. Also, I knew it was going to be a big project and a little outta my league which is pretty intimidating. But all the while, I was looking around at how others were storing their spare wood and I started putting a design together. I wanted mine to store sheets of wood on the backside and lumber pieces horizontally on the front. I didn't want bins or covered shelves. I was doing some research into the proper way to build a sturdy base when I stumbled upon THIS.



I was really excited because this is exactly what I had in mind. So I set my unrecognizable 3D drawing aside and decided to follow these plans. The woodworker that designed this cart is named Randy Price (website: plankandplane.com) and since he sells the plans I'm not going to give step by step on this build. However, I still wanted to post my finished product because I was super proud and want to show it off. : ) !

Here are some photos of my build:


It is so functional, and holds soo much wood. I can't be more pleased with it if I tried.

There were a few things that I had to stop/research/then learn in order to complete this build. If you have some experience under your belt, then this probably won't give you any trouble, but if you are a beginner then I wouldn't try to tackle this one all on your own just yet.

All in all, I'm so glad I finally did it, and completely recommend this design. Most of the cost for this build came from the adjustable shelves and the heavy duty casters.

Total Time: 1 week
Total Cost: $130